TN MRB : Recruitment for 911 Assistant Surgeons, 1163 Specialists, 85 Dental Surgeons. Exam on 19/05/2013
Update 4 : MRB 2014 for 2142 Vacancies of Assistant Surgeon and 34 Vacancies of Dental Surgeons is on 28 September 2014
For details like Date, Qualification, Mode of Exam, Syllabus, Centre etc, please see Notification for MRB 2014
Update 3 : Special TNPSC 2013 is on September 22
For details like Date, Qualification, Mode of Exam, Syllabus, Centre etc, please see Notification for Special TNPSC 2013
Update 2 : Results
The results are available at TN MRB 2013 Assistant Surgeon Medical Recruitment Board Tamil Nadu List of 2074 Doctors Selected
Update : Editorial : Who all should apply for this exam and why ?
You may know that TN Medical Services is the most most rapidly growing Medical Services in India
There are more than 15000 Doctors working in various institutions at present in around 1600 PHCs (Each PHC have 2 doctors, Upgraded PHC have two more, Block PHC has one more – That makes around 4000 doctors in PHCs alone in Tamil Nadu) + Doctors in around 300 Government Hospitals + Doctors in around 20 Medical Colleges. In addition, there are dispensaries run by corporations and municipalities, and various central and state government schemes (TANSACS, RNTCP, TNHSP etc)
The department has almost doubled in the past decade
This has necessitated government to recruit doctors through various means
1. General TNPSC – conducted in 1998, 1999, 2003 Oct, 2005 Oct, 2009 Feb
2. Womens Only General TNPSC – Condcuted in 2000
3. Special TNPSC – Conducted in 2003 Jul, 2007 Dec, 2009 Nov – for regularising doctors appointed through the following modes
(a) 10 A 1
(b) Post PG Compulsary Service
(c) Relaxation of 10 A 1
(d) Contract Medical Officers
(e) Contract Medical Consultants
Each of these modes have their advantages as well as disadvantages
Since the department is in actively growing stage, multiple routes of recruitment are needed.
In addition to the above mentioned methods, Government has now announced recruitment through MRB – Medical Recruitment Board in an aim to reduce the disadvantages of the above methods. This has necessitated many questions. We try to look at few important questions
Question 1 : Fate of MRB in Long Run??
The actual answers is “No one knows it at present” because it is a process in evolution
- Scenario 1 : MRB can replace TNPSC totally, Or
- Scenario 2 : MRB can replace only General TNPSC and those selected by MRB has to take special TNPSC to get regularised, Or
- Scenario 3 : MRB can replace 10 a 1 and those selected by MRB has to take special TNPSC to get regularised, Or
- Scenario 4 : TNPSC can conduct yearly exams like TNPG and MRB may not in the picture at all
All possibilities are open
Question 2 : Seniority ??
- If Scenario 2,3,4 happens, then there is no need for those already in service (eg those appointed by 10 A 1, those appointed in post PG compulsary service) to appear for this exams
- If MRB replaces TNPSC totally (Scenario 1), then those selected by this MRB Exam will be senior to those who are going to be selected by Special TNPSC.
Hence, those already in service (10 A 1, Post PG Bond etc) have to appear in this exam to get seniority (If you don’t apply or if you apply but don’t get selected, you will not be send home from your job immediately. You will be junior to those who are selected by MRB)
But as of now, based on the current acts and rules, we don’t know what will happen. .
Since this in an evolving process, the guidelines are being formed. At present we have only two government orders regarding Assitant Surgeon Recruitment through MRB to know the present status
So our advice will be
- Freshers , take this exam to get a job
- Those already in service (10 A 1, Post PG Compulsary Service etc), getting a rank will definitely help you in case MRB evolves to Scenario 1 described above. In case Scenarios 2,3,4 happen, this exam will be of no use,
You can also check
- General TNPSC 2009 : 10 A 1 : Special TNPSC : FAQ Part 1/4
- General TNPSC 2009 : 10 A 1 : Special TNPSC : FAQ Part 2/4
Doubt : The exam date clashes with AIIMS May 2013
Reply : Please represent to MRB directly. Posting in comments of This site or in Facebook is of no use 🙂
Doubt : Are those who are completing internship this march eligible
Reply : Check the guidelines. The answer is clearly there
Doubt : What does this mean “He shall abide by the condition that if he is selected and appointed as Assistant Surgeon, after joining duty, he shall not be permitted to undergo PG course within the period of two years excluding the period of leave”
Reply : This means that
1. He / she is not eligible for service quota
2. He / she is not eligible for study leave to undertake PG as Private candidate, join back and retain seniority
This DOES NOT MEAN That he / she cannot resign
Please read the sentence properly “he shall not be permitted to undergo PG course within the period of two years excluding the period of leave”
Is it given “he shall not be permitted to resign within the period of two years excluding the period of leave”
He / she can resign any time, but if he / she resigns before 2 years, the service he / she has put till that date will not be counted.
Assume Three Candidates
Candidate A : Joins MRB in 2013, writes General TNPSC or Special TNPSC 2013, gets selected in TNPSC. He works for 2 years till 2015. Then gets PG Seat in Tamil Nadu Government College through All India 2016 or TNPG 2016. He can join as Service Candidate. He will be eligible for Pay and Paper Increments. After his PG Course, he can join in 2019. His seniority will be equal to others who have cleared the same TNPSC as him. In addition he would have got 6 increments at that time
Candidate B : Joins MRB in 2013, writes General TNPSC or Special TNPSC 2013, gets selected in TNPSC. He works for 2 years till 2015. Then gets PG Seat in AIIMS Nov 2015 pr PGI Dec 2015. So he applies for leave. When he comes back after 3 years in 2018, he will be treated as senior. His seniority will be equal to others who have cleared the same TNPSC as him, but since he was on study leave, he would not be given the three increments. He would have got only 3 increments, but CML Seniority will be preserved
Candidate C : Joins MRB in 2013, writes General TNPSC or Special TNPSC 2013, gets selected in TNPSC. He works for 1 years till 2014. Then gets PG Seat in AIIMS Nov 2014 pr PGI Dec 2014 or All India 2015 or TNPG 2015. Now. he CANNOT apply for leave. He has to resign and go. If he joins again in 2018, that will be taken as Fresh Appointment . . . . No Seniority, No Increments (Similar to “parotta counting” in vennila kabadi kuzhu – azhichu pudichu muthala irunthu aarambikka solvuvanga)
- Those who are not in service and those who want to enter Tamil Nadu Medical Services MUST take this exam
- Whether those who are already in Service in temporary basis (both categories viz 1. Those who are appointed under 10 A 1 and 2. Those appointed in relaxation of 10 A 1 through Post PG Compulsary Service) need to take this exam is not clear at the moment. OUR SUGGESTION Unless you are explicitly banned from taking this exam, please apply, prepare and try to get maximum marks
- There is no mention of Oral Exam. So prepare with full energy for this exam
- The advantage of this (as compared to 10 A 1) is that you need not wait till your chance comes through employment exchange. You can take the exam then and there
- From what we know till now, this is neither General TNPSC nor Special TNPSC, but looks like another mode of recruitment, perhaps replacing appointment through employment exchange. Those who are selected by this may have to clear a Special TNPSC later to become regularised or may be regularized based on this mark alone.
GOVERNMENT OF TAMIL NADU
MEDICAL SERVICES RECRUITMENT BOARD (MRB)
7th Floor, DMS Buildings, 359, Anna salai, Teynampet, Chennai – 6.
NOTIFICATION NO: 01 /2013 DATED: 31.03.2013
Applications are invited only through online mode up to 21.04.2013 (changed to 28.04.2013)for Direct Recruitment to the following posts on temporary basis in Tamil Nadu Medical Services: Sl.No Name of the Subject Post Code No. of Vacancies*
- Assistant Surgeon (General-MBBS)* Code No. 001 911
- Assistant Surgeon (Speciality)* Code No. 002 1163
1. MD(GM) 134
2. MS(GS) 105
3. MD(OG)/MS(OG) / DGO 153
4. MD(Paed) / DCH 54
5. MD(Anaes) / DA 90
6. MS(ENT) / DLO 19
7. MS(Ophth) / DO 8
8. MS(Ortho) / D.Ortho 43
9. MD(DVL)/MD(VD)/MD(Derm) / DD 25
10. MD(RD) / DMRD 26
11. MD(TB & RD)/MD(Chest) / DTCD 10
12. MD(Anatomy)/MS(Anatomy) 56
13. MD (Bio) 15
14. MD(Pathology) / DCP 62
15. MCh(CTS) 12
16. DM(Cardio) 18
17. MD(SPM)/MD(CM) / DPH 38
18. MD(GM) with D.Diab 1
19. DM(Endocrine) 1
20. MD(Forensic Medicine) 38
21. DM(Gastro) 1
22. DM(Medical Oncology) 9
23. MD(Micro) 8
24. DM(Neuro) 16
25. MCh(Neuro Surgery) 14
26. MCh(Paed Surgery) 5
27. MD(Pharm) 38
28. Dip in Physical Medicine 10
29. MD(Physio) 26
30. MCh(Plastic Surgery) 7
31. MD(Psy)/ DPM 11
32. MD(RT)/ DMRT 12
33. MCh(SGE) 3
34. MCh(Surgical Oncology) 5
35. MCh(Uro) 3
36. MCh(Vascular Surgery) 2
TN MRB : Recruitment for 911 Assistant Surgeons, 1163 Specialists, 85 Dental Surgeons. Exam on 12/05/2013Code No. 003 is for Assistant Surgeon (Dental) (General-BDS ) and Assistant Surgeon (Dental) (Speciality)
37 Assistant Surgeon (Dental) (General-BDS ) 54
38 MDS (Oral Medicine and Radiology) 2
39 MDS (Oral Maxillofacial Surgery) 1
40 MDS (Prosthodontics) 1
41 MDS (Conservative Dentistry) 3
42 MDS (Oral Pathology) 4
43 MDS (Orthodontia) 2
44 MDS with any Specialities 18
Total (Dental) 85
NOTE: [*- The vacancy numbers are indicative and are likely to undergo change at the time of actual selection based on the actual vacancies]
2. IMPORTANT DATES:
- Date of Notification 31.03.2013
- Last date for submission of Applications (only through Online Registration) 21.04.2013 – Has been Changed to 28.04.2013
- Last date for payment of Fee through Bank 23.04.2013 – Has been changed to 30.04.2013
- Date and Time of Examination – Assistant Surgeon (General) and Speciality and Assistant Surgeon (Dental)(General), and Assistant Surgeon (Dental) (Speciality) (Under Graduate level Examination-200 objective type questions) 12.05.2013 FN 10.00 A.M. to 01.00 P.M. Has been changed to 19.05.2013
3. SCALE OF PAY:
- Rs.15600-39100 + Grade Pay Rs. 5400/-
4. GENERAL INFORMATION:
- a) The rule of reservation is applicable as per the rules in force.
- b) The number of vacancies advertised is only an indicative number and is liable for changes with reference to vacancy position at any time before finalisation of selection for appointment.
- c) If no qualified and suitable woman candidates are available for selection against the vacancies reserved for them, those vacancies will be filled by male candidates belonging to the respective communal categories.
- d) The Differently abled persons should produce before appointment a certificate of physical fitness from the Medical Board to the effect that his/her handicap will not render him/her incapable of efficiently discharging the duties attached to the post to which he/she has been selected. There is no separate reservation for Differently abled persons/ Ex- Service Man / Destitute Widow.
- e) Defence personnel released or likely to be released from the Armed Forces due to disability incurred in forward areas while on duty, will also be selected if they are found to be otherwise qualified and if the Medical authorities are satisfied that the Differently abled is not such as would render them incapable of efficiently discharging the duties of an Assistant Surgeon.
- f) Separate reservation of 3.5% within the 30% reservation available for Backward Classes is applicable only to Backward Class Muslims (BCMs). All the concessions / relaxations / benefits applicable to BC candidates are applicable to BC Muslim candidates also.
- g) The expression B.C (i.e. Backward Class) wherever it occurs in the Board’s ‘Instructionsto candidates’’, Information Brochure and Online Registration application form, should be read as “B.C. (other than BCM) and B.C. (Muslim)”, [BCMs denotes Backward Class Muslims].
- h) There will be only one common examination for both Assistant Surgeon (General) having qualification of only MBBS and Assistant Surgeon (Specialist) having Post Graduate / Super speciality qualification (either PG Diploma/ Degree) Over and above MBBS. In the Online application, applicant having Post Graduate diploma/degree/super speciality qualification may express their willingness or otherwise for being considered for Assistant surgeon (General) post by selecting the posts appropriately. There will be another common examination for both Assistant Surgeon Dental (General) having qualification of only BDS and Assistant Surgeon Dental (Specialist) having Post Graduate Degree qualification over and above BDS. In this Online application applicant having Post Graduate qualification may express their willingness or otherwise by applying for relevant post(s). The vacancies in the Speciality categories will be filled in only by candidates who possess relevant Post Graduate Diploma/ Degree/Super speciality degree as indicated in the table under para.1(b) and who are willing to serve in the Speciality Department of any of the Hospitals in the District (i.e) in the District Headquarters Hospitals, Taluk Headquarters Hospitals, T.B. Sanatorium etc. atleast for a period of five years after which they will be considered for transfer to General line (i.e) other than the Speciality or to teaching post, if they so desire.
- j) After the selection is made by the Board the list of selected candidates will be sent to Head of Department / Government. Appointment to the posts of Assistant Surgeon (General / Specialties) will be made by the Head of Department after counselling.
- k) Any claim relating to the selection should be received within 60 days from the date of announcement of results. Claims received thereafter will receive no attention.
- l) Certificate of Physical Fitness: Candidates selected for appointment to the posts will be required to produce a certificate of physical fitness after their selection in the form prescribed for “Executive Posts”. The Standard of vision prescribed for the posts “Standard – III” – is as follows: Better eye Other eye Distant vision without glasses 6/9 or 6/9 Distant vision with glasses 6/6 6/12 Candidates with defective vision should produce eye fitness certificate from qualified eye specialist.4
A. AGE (as on 01.07.2012) : Sl. No Category of Candidates Maximum Age
- i. SCs, SC(A)s, STs, MBC&DCs, BCs, BCMs No Age limit
- ii. Others’ (i.e. candidates not belonging to other than the categories referred to in Sl.No. 1 above).
- For Asst. Surgeon (General & Speciality) 35 Years of age (As on 01.07.2012)
- Asst. Surgeon (Dental) (General &Speciality) 30 years of age (As on 01.07.2012) Note: “Other” Candidates not belonging to SCs -Scheduled Caste, SC (A)s Scheduled Caste(Arunthathiyar), STs- Scheduled Tribes, MBC&DCs Most Backward Class & Denotified Community, BCs- Backward Class, BCMs- Backward Class(Muslim) who have put in five years of service in the State/Central Government are not eligible even if they are within the age limit.
B. EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION:
Candidates should possess the following or its equivalent qualification awarded by a University or Institution recognised by the University Grants Commission for the purpose of its grants.
- For Assistant Surgeon(General) – MBBS Degree
- For Assistant Surgeon (Speciality) – PG Degree / Diploma in the concerned Speciality and Super Speciality.
- For Assistant Surgeon (Dental) (General) – BDS Degree
- For Assistant Surgeon (Dental) (Speciality)- MDS Degree
Apart from the above the candidates,
- i) Must be a registered practitioner within the meaning of the Madras Medical Registration Act 1914
- ii) Served as House Surgeon for a period of not less than twelve months.
- iii) Candidates should have registered their name in the Tamil Nadu Medical Council / Tamil Nadu Dental Council. Note:- If candidates with M.D (Pathology) are not available, candidates possessing DCP (i.e. Diploma in Clinical Pathology) will be considered for the Post of Assistant Surgeon (Speciality of Pathology).
6. SCHEME OF EXAMINATION (OBJECTIVE TYPE):
Written examination in Optical Markup Reader (OMR) – sheet Objective type single paper
- i. Common exam for Asst.Surgeon (General) and Asst. Surgeon (Speciality)
- ii. Common exam for Asst. Dental Surgeon(General) and Asst. Dental Surgeon (Speciality)
Duration : 3 Hours
Maximum Marks : 100
Minimum Qualifying Marks for selection (%)
- SC/ ST 30
- Others 35
Note:-The question paper in the subject ‘Medical Sciences’ and ‘Dental Medicine’ will be set in English and will contain 200 objective questions each.
7. CENTRE FOR EXAMINATION:
Examination will be held at CHENNAI.
Sl. No Name of the Centre Centre Code
- 1. CHENNAI 01 Note:
i. Candidates should appear for the examination at their own expenses and no TA/DA will be paid.
8. PROCEDURE OF SELECTION :
Selection will be made based on the marks obtained in the written examination duly following the rules of communal rotation of Government of Tamil Nadu.
9. EXAMINATION FEES:
Rs.700/- (Rupees Seven hundred only) (i.e. including Cost of Registration and Examination) be paid by all the candidates (excluding SC/ST candidates). SC/ST candidates have to pay Rs.350/- (Rupees Three Hundred and Fifty Only). In addition, candidates have to pay the service charges applicable to the Indian Bank (in case of offline payments) or Net Banking charges (Credit / Debit Card) over and above the mandatory fees. The charges for the same will be about Rs.15 (Rupees Fifteen Only).
9. On- Line Registration
- a. Candidates are first required to log on to the Medical Services Recruitment Board’s website www.mrb.tn.gov.in
- b. Click “Online Registration” to open up the On-Line Application Form.
- c. Select the name of the post(s) for which you wish to apply.
- d. Please enter all the required particulars without skipping any field.
- e. Candidates are required to upload their scanned copy of colour photograph and
- signature as per the specifications given in the Guidelines for Scanning and Upload of Photograph and Signature. An online application is incomplete without the photograph
- and signature upload.
- f. Mobile number and e-mail are mandatory.
10. SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:
All the candidates wishing to apply shall abide by the following undertaking. In addition, candidates who are called for certificate verification shall submit the following undertaking to the Board UNDERTAKING
- i) In the event of selection, the candidate shall serve in Government Primary Health Centres for a period of not less than three years excluding any period spent on training, leave or higher education.
- ii) Successful candidate shall join duty within 30 days the date of receipt of appointment orders and shall not claim extension of joining time citing that he was undergoing higher studies / P.G Course or for any other reason. He shall abide by the condition that his/her name will be removed from the approved list without assigning any reasons there for, if he/she fails to join duty within the stipulated time.
- iii) He shall abide by the condition that if he is selected and appointed as Assistant Surgeon, after joining duty, he shall not be permitted to undergo PG course within the period of two years excluding the period of leave.
- iv) In the event of his selection to the Speciality side vacancy, he shall serve in the Special Department of any of the Hospitals in the Districts i.e. In the District Headquarters Hospitals, Taluk Headquarters Hospitals, T.B Sanatorium, etc. atleast for a period of 5 years.
- v) He shall abide by the condition that if he is selected for the post of Assistant Surgeon (Speciality) in the Non-Clinical side, he shall be given postings in the Hospitals / Institutions in which the particular subject is attached. vi) If the candidate is under any contractual obligation, to serve under any State Government / Central Government / Private Institutions he must produce a No Objection Certificate from the concerned Head of Institution.
11. Candidates are advised to read and familiarize themselves with “Instructions to the Candidates ” in the website www.mrbexam.in
Medical Services Recruitment Board (MRB) Corrigendum/Addendum to the Instructions to the Candidate
i. In modification of the instructions in 9(d) [page 11] of the Instructions to the Candidate the following instructions are issued: “9(d) Medical/Dental Council Registration Certificates Candidates applying for the posts for appointment to which registration of their names in Tamil Nadu Medical Council or Tamil Nadu Dental Council, as the case may be, is a pre-condition, they should have registered their names on or before the last date of application submitted to the MRB (i.e., the registration cannot be later than the last date for submission of online application) and the registration shall be valid one. Original of the same has to be produced at the time of certificate verification along with the other certificates”
i. Reservation for Differently Abled
The following paragraph is added to para No.4 (d) of the Detailed Notification: 01/2013 dated 31.3.2013 ,and Para 6 of the Instructions to the Candidates
As per G.O.Ms.No.25 Welfare of Differently abled persons Department, dated 14.03.2013, the Government have issued orders for the reservation of 3% vacancies for Differently abled persons. The details of posts that can be reserved for Differently abled persons are furnished below in so far as Tamil Nadu Medical Service and their eligibility is as follows.
Tamil Nadu Medical Service
- Assistant Surgeon (General) S/ST/W/RW/BN/MF OL (40% to 50%)
- Assistant Surgeon (Specialties in Anatomy) S/ST/W/RW/BN/MF OL (40% to 50%)
- Assistant Surgeon (Specialties in Community Medicine) S/ST/W/RW/BN/MF OL (40% to 50%)
- Assistant Surgeon (Specialties in Dermatology) S/ST/W/RW/BN/MF OL (40% to 50%)
- Assistant Surgeon (Specialties in Physiology) S/ST/W/RW/MF/BN/BE OL (40% to 50%)
- Assistant Surgeon (Specialties in Radiology) S/ST/W/RW/MF/BN/BE OL (40% to 50%)
- Assistant Surgeon (Specialties in Radio Therapy) S/ST/W/RW/MF/BN/BE OL (40% to 50%)
- Assistant Surgeon (Dental) S/ST/W/RW/SE OL
ii. Sl.No. Code Physical Requirements
1 S Work Performed by Sitting
2 ST Work Performed by Standing
3 RW Work Performed by Reading / Writing
4 W Work Performed by Walking
5 B Work Performed by Bending
6 SE Work Performed by Seeing
7 H Work Performed by Hearing / Speaking
8 MF Work Performed by manipulating with fingers
9 C Work Performed by Communication
Sl.No. Code Functional Classification
1 B Blind
2 LV Low Vision
3 H Hard of Hearing
4 OA One Arm
5 OL One Leg
6 BL Both Leg
7 BLA Both Legs and Arms
Consequently the para 4(d) in the detailed notification is modified as follows. 4(d) The Differently abled persons are eligible for 3% reservation subject to the conditions stipulated in G.O. G.O.Ms.No.25 Welfare of Differently abled persons Department, dated 14.03.2013. There is no separate reservation for Ex- Service Man / Destitute Widow.
Medical Services Recruitment Board (MRB) Corrigendum to the Notification/ Instructions to the Candidate CORRIGENDUM:
In the Notification No.1, dated 31.03.2013, the date of Competitive Examination for the posts of Assistant Surgeon
(General/Speciality) / Assistant Surgeon (Dental- General/Speciality) was announced (in the notification and the
Instructions to the candidates) as 12.05.2013. The date of the above said examination is now re-scheduled and refixed on 19.05.2013. Accordingly, the last date for submission of application for the above examination is re-scheduled to 28.04.2013 and last date for off-line payment of fee through Bank is 30.04.2013.